Saturday, June 23, 2018

Brighten the corner where you are!


Brighten The Corner Where You Are


Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
Do not wait to shed your light afar;
To the many duties ever near you now be true,
Brighten the corner where you are.

Refrain:
Brighten the corner where you are!
Brighten the corner where you are!
Someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar;
Brighten the corner where you are!

Just above are clouded skies that you may help to clear,
Let not narrow self your way debar;
Though into one heart alone may fall your song of cheer,
Brighten the corner where you are.

Here for all your talent you may surely find a need,
Here reflect the bright and Morning Star;
Even from your humble hand the Bread of Life may feed,
Brighten the corner where you are.

Ina D. Ogden 1913


Maybe it is because I am 73 that I reminisce more than I have when younger but I fondly remember my Sunday School days with the instruction with the teacher using felt board bible figures. There was also lots of singing. The songs were simple, easy to learn and sing and full of truth.

It is also easy as I age to become more of a crabapple. It seems like the world is going to hell in a handbasket. It it all too easy to become hyper-reflective, preoccupied with myself and critical of others.

What will one more letter to the editor do other than scold scofflaws who probably don't read the paper anyway? What can I possibly do to improve things? 

What better advice can one reflect on than to "Brighten The Corner Where You Are"? We are urged to act now, not wait. We are urged to think of others instead of ourselves. Maybe our lasting legacy will be helping only one person. In reflecting the life of Christ, we are offering hope to those who are lost.

I am persuaded that when we focus on brightening the corner where we are, God will attract those in darkness to our small corner of existence. Help my light so to shine Lord. Amen


Dale+

No comments: