Saturday, January 1, 2011

Grandchildren

Fr. Dale Matson
01-01-2011
“Grandchildren are the crown of old men, and the glory of sons is their fathers” (Proverbs 17:6)

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick….now how does that go grandma? The boys are over for a visit. I sometimes think it is a contest to see who can be sillier. I enjoy the mock scolding by them. “Grandpa, DON’T be so silly. Come and smell the chocolate on my breath. Meals are the best and worst time for me. It’s like recess with food. “Grandpa, that’s not snow on the roof, it’s HAIL! Well excuse me for not being precise enough for a four year old.

I just had to check on them in the other room. From here it sounded like a tantrum but a quick check with grandma indicated it was only boys practicing wild animal sounds. I always ask them to make a noise like a rabbit. “Grandpa, rabbits don’t make noises”. Yes, boys that’s the point.

We were up in the snow yesterday and they were both so excited about icicles. There is such a wonderment and innocence about two and four year old children. It’s so fun to be “original” once again with “Don’t eat the yellow snow”. Sticks are also a necessary tool for working snow; for pounding it into submission; for reducing it to its basic crystalline structure.

Grandparenting children is kind of like riding a bicycle. Memories of my parenting experience seems to come back and inform me …. and yet it is not the same as it was parenting. Then it was a serious business and I was so different also. This is where the grand-kids come to get dirty and have their toys stolen from them by our Airedales. This is where the hands of children and dog spit intermingle. This is where germs are used as grandpa’s ally in making men.

When our house has stray toys grandma is happy. They are like random reminders of her dear grandsons. (I will not allow a license plate bracket that says anything about grandchildren). For me, their toys are objects that I step on in my stocking feet. Jacks are especially painful. We walked the dogs in the rain today with the boys. They have their own pace. Very fast and very slow. Well, thank you Father for these boys. Their parents have just arrived and Grandma and I are saved once again from the kiddie monsters that never sleep, never nap and never tire.

"Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 18:3) Amen.

1 comment:

Fr Van McCalister said...

I enjoyed your observations. Thanks!