Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Jesus Part Of Us

The Jesus Part of Us
Fr. Dale Matson
06-09-10

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

As a Psychologist, I was taught and aware that much of what we do is based on motivation from our unconscious mind and much of this activity is self serving. For example, we might do a charitable deed but the motivation might be self serving. Even though we thought the act was selfless, it was really selfish. We may gift someone and think that this is an affirmation for them but it is really a need on our part for them to like us.
As Christians however, there is another force at work in us. “For it is God who works in you, to will and to act, according to his good purpose.” (Philippians 2:13)
As a Priest it is also evident to me that Christians are motivated in a way that may be unconscious but is mysterious and selfless. It reminds me of the remote control devices we use to turn on our Television or Radio. The remotes use an infrared beam of light that we cannot see. We usually don’t think about the beam unless our dog is standing between us and the TV when we are unable to mute a commercial.
Recently I was conversing with another customer in the hardware store. It is the kind of small talk people make while in close proximity waiting for the clerk. I was having a little difficulty understanding him because of my age and his thick accent but the conversation included mutual respect and laughter. He mentioned to me that he was Muslim and I said that I was an Anglican Priest. I had to put the purchase in the back of my truck and while I was doing that he came up behind me. He said, “You are like Jesus. I like being around you. Do you have a business card where your church is”? As we parted, I gave him a blessing and told him so also. He smiled and went to his car.
To me this was a Kingdom of God moment. Jesus was like that invisible infrared light that had gone out from me to this man. The Gospel light is that Jesus part of us coming in contact with others. Yes, I can be known for having a hard edge but there is also the Jesus part of me too. We must all understand as Christians that when our best self, our only true self, is operating, others want to be around us. We are an incarnation of the Gospel light to others.

“To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:27)

No comments: