Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sin, Behavior and The Fruit of the Spirit

Sin, Behavior and The Fruit of the Spirit
Fr. Dale Matson
O9-08-10
“For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.” (Romans 7:19-23, NASV).
This is a difficult passage. Who among us can’t identify with his struggles? He talks about his mind and will directed toward God but actions being contrary and directed by the evil resident in his members. It would seem that he attributed his sinful actions to his body which was captive to sin. Perhaps a more contemporary way of saying this is that he was a captive of his own repeated behaviors. This is especially true of those suffering from addictions or obsessive compulsive behavior. Behaviorists rightfully claim that the more we do something, the more likely we are to do it again. Behavior therapy is less and less about extinguishing or reducing inappropriate behavior and more about providing replacement behaviors.
So, how does this apply to Christians wanting to live a victorious, holy and transcendent life? I believe there are two approaches to dealing with sinful behavior. The first approach is to find a replacement behavior. If we take the seven deadly sins for example, there are also seven corresponding virtues. If we are at heart a greedy person then acts of generosity help balance out the greedy behaviors. Often the counsel of Jesus was behavioral in its intent. “If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also.” (Luke 6:29, ESV). We don't just do things for people we love; we love people we do things for. That is why Jesus asks us to pray for our enemies. It may heap coals on their head but it also changes our heart toward them. The second approach is less behavioral and more a matter of faith. In Galatians, St. Paul lists the fruit of the Spirit. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” (5:22-23) This means that God is growing good fruit in His children by the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.
I believe as we journey through this life as Christians, God helps us to understand that it is our proper response as Christians to love and serve Him. Once again, the focus is not primarily about what we do for God but our acknowledgment of what He is doing in and through us. More and more it is Christ in me that acts from godly intentions. We simply cannot of ourselves live a Holy life that is not empowered by God the Holy Spirit. “Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20-21, NIV)

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Yes! Amen.