Sunday, September 1, 2019

O God Our Hope In Ages Past


Homily Pentecost 12C 2019

Fr. Dale Matson
My title is taken from the title of  our processional hymn. (Verse 5) “Time like an ever-rolling stream bears all our years away; they fly, forgotten, as a dream dies at the opening day.” [Words by Isaac Watts]
The Church of Christ is called to be salt and light on this earth. Today I would like to offer some examples of intercession. As we examine our readings today more carefully, it is evident that through the eyes of faith and trust, God truly loves us. I so often visualize the kingdom of heaven as God taking us into a life raft. Or maybe I should think of it in terms of Noah’s Ark. In either case we were drowning and God pulled us to safety. The idea of Salvation is really one of rescue. God rescues us from eternal death and encourages us to pull others on board His raft. That is the Great Commission. We are told to rescue others.
While water announces our arrival on this earth and is the means of our baptism, humans were not intended to exist in the water. They were made from dirt and intended to walk and inhabit terra firma…. earth…. dry land. Whenever we talk about water there is some sense of uneasiness because while walking on land is natural and normal, we cannot walk on water. There is no Scriptural difference between being in the depths of the ocean and being in the land of the dead. To be in the depths of the ocean is sometimes referred to as Davy Jones’s locker the place of drowned sailors.
My folks had a summer home on a lake and we spent every summer there until I went into the army. One day when I was out on the lake fishing a young man was calling for help. At first I thought it was just another city slicker clowning around. I pulled anchor and motored our boat over to him. He cried out that he was drowning and I helped an exhausted young man into the boat. I thought he would calm down but he only became more panicky. He said, “My brother is at the bottom of the lake. He’s gone forever”. His twin brother aged 18 had drowned before I got there. I saved him but not his brother. The story of Jonah brings back memories for me because the divers from the state police found his body two days later in about fifteen feet of water with weeds wrapped around his head.
God has always provided selfless nurturing individuals at important times in my life. How about you? Has he done this for you also? Is it your turn to comfort others with the comfort that you were comforted with? (2 Corinthians 1:4)
My mentor Dr. Bob Wilson was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma about 1984. He wasn't given much chance for survival and even went to Lourdes seeking a cure. During this dark night of the soul Bob, already a deeply religious man, turned finally to his wife Dede and said, “May God’s will be done.” Bob’s cancer went into remission and God gave him an additional 15 years of life. I personally benefitted from the last eight years Dr. Bob had on this earth. This month I will be 75, two years older than Bob when God called him home.
It is not possible to discuss Bob’s professional life without discussing his Christian life also. He was a deeply committed and spiritual Roman Catholic. He was a lector and Eucharistic minister at his church, Our Lady Of Victory. He would pray with his advisees and offer supportive counsel along with academic guidance. He started the Counseling and School Psychology masters and credential programs at Fresno Pacific University after he had retired from the Fresno Unified School District. He was voted counselor of the year by the San Joaquin Counselors Association and received the highest honor in California counseling, the H.B. McDaniel award.  He was the first Roman Catholic (and a Marine Veteran to boot) professor hired at Pacific, a Mennonite Brethren University (Pacifist). He won over the “Brethren” who previously had been unsure if Catholics were even Christians.
Bob rarely made it to meetings on time because someone would spot him headed to the administration building and have a pressing problem that needed attention. Bob would always make time for them. He would say to me, “Save a place for me, I’ll be a bit late.” Sometimes he never made it to the meeting. Bob had no malice toward anyone. He loved everyone and always attributed the best motives to the behavior of others. He had a pure heart and I never heard him say a negative thing about anyone. He brought out the absolute best in others. We simply called him, “Coach”.  A coach helps you to become better. In addition to the Holy Spirit being the advocate and teacher, the Holy Spirit is a coach.
Bob and Dede lived a simple life in a small house. They raised six boys and one girl. He was continually giving away money to those in need. I was driving a group of us to lunch and we came to a red light. He gave me a dollar to hand to a homeless man holding a sign at the intersection. I chided Bob that the man was probably running a scam. Bob simply looked at me and said, “ I've got it and he doesn't.” It reminds me of verse nine in our Psalm today. “They have given freely to the poor, *and their righteousness stands fast for ever; they will hold up their head with honor.” (Psalm 112). I have tried not to refuse anyone since that time. Bob was not just a coach. He was a model for all of us. He did a lot of in person counseling and counseling over the phone with folks including children of faculty who were autistic and even some who were dangerous. Bob was their last hope because he, like Jesus never gave up on anyone.  
Before Bob retired, he stepped down as the director of the PPS program and I became his supervisor. When Bob retired from Fresno Pacific, we had a party in his honor and invited all the alumni from the Counseling and School Psychology program we could still contact. There was an enormous response and attendance. For the first time Bob’s family was able to see all the people that they had shared their father with for so many years. Many of his graduates were at mid-life and some cried as they told how Bob had made it possible for them to get a new start.
Bob’s resume’ would have been dozens of pages of names of people that he had encouraged and helped over decades of service. We helped preserve his legacy by starting a scholarship in Bob’s name.
Bob died while Sharon and I were in Ireland and we returned just in time for Dede to contact me to ask me to read the Old Testament lesson. One nephew told about Bob taking all the men Ling Cod fishing. Bob pushed the huge rubber raft into the surf and got wet to his waist. He was obviously cold the entire time out but just smiled at the opportunity to be with his sons and nephews. After the funeral, Dede said to me, “You know Dale he loved you.” I said, “Dede, Bob loved everyone.” She said, “Yes, but he loved you like a son.” That kind of love for eight years brought enormous healing to me. Soon thereafter, I sought Holy Orders and retired from Fresno Pacific too. I look forward to seeing Bob again. I often think of Bob during the Great Thanksgiving as I pray “…and at the last day bring us with all your saints into the joy of your eternal kingdom.”  
 What is the purpose of this story? How does it apply to your life?  Is God calling you to come alongside someone else? Is God calling you to be an intercessor, a spiritual guide?  If we are willing to be used by our Lord and use Him as our navigational reference point, He will give us the opportunity to come alongside others who struggle as they unexpectedly find they are drowning in the “open water” of real life. Jesus tells us in our Gospel lesson from Luke, “But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. “
We can be the encouraging voice helping others that have lost their way. We can also help others by conducting our lives in a gracious way. Establishing personal boundaries curbs resentment. By keeping our lives on course, others can be guided by our actions. Sometimes listening helps another speak a solution to his or her own problems. Sometimes when others simply know we are available to help them, they are able to remain independent and empowered.
The sea is not just deep, it is vast.  In 2004, I trained in Millerton Lake for the 2.4 mile ocean swim portion of the Hawaii Ironman competition. I was confident that I could complete the swim distance but also knew, being a slow swimmer, that I might not make the cut off time of two hours and twenty minutes for the distance. Sharon and I arrived in Kona Hawaii a week before the competition and I knew that I would need to practice the ocean swim before the Saturday competition. Fortunately, Sharon was born and raised in Southern California and spent much of her formative years body surfing at Corona del Mar. She is as comfortable in the ocean as Brer Rabbit is in the briar patch. On Tuesday as we stood on the pier near the swim start, we could see the large turn around buoy 1.2 miles off shore. I set my timer on my watch hoping to get to the buoy in less than one hour and ten minutes.
The ocean cannot be compared to even a large reservoir like Millerton Lake. When you are swimming at ocean level, the huge ocean swells completely cover a distant object from a swimmer’s view. Isn’t this a lot like life? Much of the time you are navigating and hoping to catch your next glimpse of the object you are swimming toward. Sharon remarked at one point, “Would you just look at the dolphins swimming below us”. My response was, “Don’t tell me about any dang fish!” We finally got to the buoy and I looked at my watch. It was one hour and fifteen minutes out to the buoy. I said to her, “I’m not going to make the time limit.” When we reached shore, my watch timer indicated one hour and thirteen minutes total time. The onshore current had brought me home in time and Sharon had been by my side the entire time with words of encouragement. I did finish the swim in time and the Ironman competition too but if Sharon had not come alongside during the practice, I would not have had the confidence to complete the swim. God had allowed Sharon to be more than a wife. She was my intercessor, my coach.
Like Dr. Bob Wilson, like Sharon, like Jesus and like you, we are called to speak words of comfort or words calling others to repentance. This is not something God is telling us is optional. God said to Jonah, “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me.” Like Jonah, we can’t head in the other direction. If God has put words in your heart to offer others, those words will be like a hot coal on your lips until they are spoken. We are called to be God’s messengers to a people that God loves in spite of the things they do. Speak the truth. Speak the truth in love. Be an intercessor for God today. Amen.       



No comments: