Friday, March 27, 2020

The Virus


Fr. Dale Matson

Many of our coping mechanisms and distractions have been taken away like Churches, parks, theaters, fitness centers etc. Lots of safer outdoor places have been closed. We are under a form of "house arrest" and physically isolated from our own families. I am glad for the internet that offers a more balanced view of our situation and a means of keeping our church family together. We are live-streaming our services. People are rethinking bricks and mortar institutions. I think the pagans are more bothered by this than Christians based on the comments on First Things. Faith is a balm. I am seeing less quarreling between Protestants and Catholics also. Only time will tell if the current measures taken to combat the virus are draconian. As a 75-year-old, I am optimistic and not fearful but I have lived through much. We are having to endure both the problem and the solutions to the problem. I am mourning my missing freedoms. I especially want to hug my family again.

Prayer

Lord forgive the very way we live our lives. Especially our self-centered focus. Please hear my prayers for others. I pray for the ill, the dying, those who lost jobs and those who face the social isolation alone. Thank you for my wife, my constant companion who endures my many quirks. Please give us a sense of peace about all of these things beyond our control. In the end You are in control. Help us to focus on You. I pray for those who rule over us that they would have good council and make decisions that would make a difference in our lives. Help us to learn our lessons from this. May the Lord bless and keep you all. Amen
Dale+

No comments: