Monday, August 1, 2011

Meditations Of A Plumber Priest II


 Fr. Dale Matson

In this, my second book of meditations, I have added several photographs taken in the central Sierra Nevada Mountains. In my twentieth year in Fresno CA, when the air is clear, I can see much of the central Sierra Nevada Mountains. The mountains offer year round recreation, personal restoration and I am there once a week.

There is no way to describe how my spirit is elevated each time I drive east into the mountains to begin a new adventure with friends, family or in the company of my Airedales Susie and Duke who change from pets to companions enjoying the winter snow.

I also spent four of the best days of my life with my sons as we backpacked a portion of the John Muir Trail together. Hearing them talking together as men around a campfire as I fell asleep in my tent was as beautiful a sound as any waterfall or river.

This mountain therapy is where I fellowship with God too, for it was He who made these things and me also.  It can at times be as intimate an occasion for me as when I offer the Great Thanksgiving in the Holy Eucharist.

I have included two selections, “Wilderness” and “My Testimony” from my previous book on meditations. May this mountain and wilderness theme set the tone for your meditations also. How important are the mountains for me? My next book will be titled "My Favorite Hikes In The Central Sierras."

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.  ~John Muir

Meditations Of A Plumber Priest II  is now available through Amazon Books or Barnes and Noble Books.

May God richly bless you,
Fr. Dale E. Matson

No comments: