Saturday, June 11, 2022

Delusional Thinking

Delusional Thinking

Fr. Dale Matson


And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (Genesis 1:17, ASV”


I am elderly (77) and perhaps some would say, “This guy is out of touch with the modern world.” “His thinking is so black and white”. “He is so binary.” I was raised in an analogue world not a digital world. 

When I was working on my doctorate at Marquette University in Counseling Psychology in the 1980’s, I remember being asked by my advisor Dr. Kifmueller, what I would do if a homosexual wanted counseling. My answer was that I would refer the person to someone else, that I didn’t feel qualified to work with such a person. He encouraged me to finish my doctorate in the Educational Psychology program, which I did. I remember his bow ties. To me they are the sign of an expert or a crackpot. 

While I was working on my master’s degree in School Psychology, I worked at a county mental hospital. I remember one adult patient who thought he was a woman and wanted to have his testicles removed and insisted on the county paying for it. He would often slip out of bed and wander the halls at night dressed only in a diaper. I used to hate it when the Grateful Dead came to perform at Alpine Valley. We would have scores of John and Jane Does in the hospital emergency room every night of the concerts.

I remember many delusional patients including a woman who insisted on the attendants calling her Mrs. Elvis Presley. The attendants were the only ones who had keys to the locked doors. And the key helped remind me that I was a worker and not an inpatient. I was surrounded by lots of folks who were firmly ensconced in their delusions. One young man that we had placed in a security room was convinced the world had ended. He was so convincing that I checked to see if there were still cars in the parking lot outside. 

Cigarettes were behavioral rewards for those who obeyed the unit rules. I remember one of the movies we watched on weekends was “The Shining”. It seemed like an inappropriate movie for this group. 

And then there were folks who did not fit into the DSM. These were scary people who had given themselves over to Satan. One lady said that all her problems were solved by Satan…but of course she was in a mental institution. A man on the unit saw a Time Magazine with a cover of Pope John Paul, went into a rage and tore the magazine to bits. 

So many of these folks were fragile to begin with but would have made it in this world except for their drug involvement. The drugs pushed them into a madness from which most will probably never recover. John (not his real name) had a crucifix around his neck to protect him from the vampires that came after him in his sleep. He didn’t believe in drugs that the nurses offered but would accept any drug offered to him on the streets.

It seems like delusions are now mainstream and available on every street in every town.

Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy.


5 comments:

Katherine said...

Thank you for the line, "I was raised in a an analogue world." Things are indeed different now.

The culture is mainstreaming insanity, and treating the sane as if we are the crazy ones.

Dale Matson said...

Katherine,
Agreed.

Undergroundpewster said...

I worked for a month on the "Crisis Intervention Unit" (CIU) at a massive urban hospital, and it opened my eyes to how many delusional people are among us. They only got brought to the CIU when they went totally nuts, threatened people, or walked around naked in public. I remember one night I had a waiting room with "God" on one side and "Satan" on the other with an "angel" a "Virgin Mother", and a naked man we wrapped up in a sheet in between. I learned a lot of theology that night.

Today we have the same lunatics running around in scanty clothes proclaiming their "truths", and living out their delusions to which we are obliged to approve.

Sometimes I think the world needs an intramuscular dose of Haldol, but I know what it really needs, and that is to accept the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as its Lord and Savior.

Dale Matson said...

Thanks for the comment UGP,
The nurse often had me accompany her to a small room where she would administer Prolixin for those mentally ill folks who were on the street. You could always tell when someone on the sidewalk was on major tranquilizers. They would be walking and not quite certain where the the sidewalk began and the sole of their foot ended. With Prolixin people were not in a security room but the security room was in their brain. Actually, the most dangerous folks on the unit were drunks too inebriated to go to jail. One minute they would be cooperative and the next minute they would be assaultive. They eventually closed the mental facility and had two intervention counselors on duty 24/7. Phone interventions were OK but walk-ins could be scary. 24 hour protective custody and 72 hour emergency detention were taken to the hospital about a block away. Most of the hospitalized were put on tranquilizers to make the nurses more comfortable. Mental health for the poor was and remains two categories 1. dangerous to self or 2. dangerous to others. Meanwhile thought insertion is a reality even for those of sound mind, if they watch cable news.

Dale Matson said...

"...that is to accept the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as its Lord and Savior."
Well said on Trinity Sunday.