Saturday, March 2, 2019

“Be of love (a little) More careful Than of everything…”



Fr. Dale Matson

Thus, begins a poem by E.E. Cummings, but the most poignant part for me is the beginning. The poem has been on our bedroom wall for over 20 years. God has used it as both a reminder and an indictment.
So often in my relationships with others, people have been more object than person. There have been friends and relationships of convenience. The relationships were utilitarian. We worked, worshipped or ran together. In fact, most of my relationships were contractual. There were salespeople, repairmen and craftspeople etc.
The reality is that I could take or leave most folks. I had not learned that each had a “handle with care” ribbon around their hearts 24/7. Yes, I could be a good listener, a comforter, an encourager in my professional work as a counselor, psychologist and priest but that was a role and only rarely the work of God the Holy Spirit. What is the difference? I think when God is truly in the relationship, the boundaries are less distinct. Because of this our human part is more willing to be honest, to risk, to let down our well cultivated guard…to be a genuine vulnerable person.
Last week, a younger man who is a longtime friend drove me home from our Saturday Jogger breakfast (We take turns). I had recently returned home from a recent stay in the hospital. When he stopped his car in front of my house, Mike looked at me with a silent and compassionate smile. I looked back with a smile and a few tears welling up. I think I said, “I’m so happy that you are my friend.” Why is it that I have been just going through the motions for so long? My tender old man skin that so easily bruises should continually be a reminder to “…be of love a little more careful”.
I think of Jesus crying for his dead friend Lazarus even though He knew that he would raise him to life again. And this will be how he will feel about us also. Thank You Jesus.



No comments: